SIgn up below to receive our monthly "Full Covereage" newsletter.


"Thank You for taking such great care of our family. You not only saved us several hundred dollars over our previous insurance carrier but also made sure all of our insurance needs were well taken care of. When our niece needed automobile insurance at the last minute to purchase a new car, not only did you take the time to patiently educate her about insurance but you also waited over 2 hours after your normal business hours on a Friday night to make sure that she was able to take her new car home that day. You are not only an outstanding, dedicated insurance agent but a truly wonderful person. We look forward to a long insurance relationship knowing that we have you looking after us."
Gillian and Brenda



"My name is Tony Laughlin and have been a client of Shepard Insurance Agency since late 1997. I came to this agency for the purpose of getting lower insurance rates. I not only found lower insurance rates, but I found by far, one the best agents in Ms. Luz Gomez. I unfortuneately have had a few incidents with my vehicles in the past, and I never felt that I was getting anything but top service. The phone calls are returned in very timely manner, and questions are answered as if they knew before they were asked. With the service I receive, I feel like I am their only client. There is no exaggeration in any of these comments, I feel the way I have explained. Thank you Shepard Insurance and a special thanks to Luz Gomez. "
Tony Laughlin


« return to Article Archive

Does your condominium/townhome insurance cover any permanent improvements made to your unit? Probably not.

Many people mistakenly believe their homeowners' association policy covers interior improvements like floor coverings, cabinets, bookcases, wall coverings, kitchen appliances and light fixtures. Generally it does not. Additions and Alterations Coverage is protection you can purchase for interior improvements that you've made to your unit. The basic policy provides $2,000 of coverage, but you can increase this by increments of $1,000 up to an unlimited amount (some companies offer a maximum limit of $200,000). We recommend a minimum of $50,000 in coverage, but every unit is unique and you must determine the appropriate replacement value based on the improvements made to your unit.

Another coverage we recommend for condo and townhome owners is Loss Assessment Coverage. If your building is damaged by an insured loss or your association is sued, and the cost of that damage is not fully covered by your association's policy, this coverage would pay for your share of an assessment charged to all unit owners. The basic policy provides $1,000 of coverage, but you can increase this by increments of $1,000 up to a maximum limit of $50,000 or more. We recommend going with $50,000 in coverage. Earthquake Loss Assessment Coverage is also available, and provides the same type of coverage in the event of an earthquake.

Before purchasing either Additions and Alterations or Loss Assessment Coverage, first review your association’s master policy to find out what that policy covers, and what it doesn’t. From there, we can help you select the right coverage for you.